Photos by Lauren Wang
Winter is coming... And you can be prepared early with these ten tips!
- Make sure you have plenty of blankets for each horse in the barn; waterproof if they spend time out in the snow!
- Keep a coat ready for yourself too!
- Give them shelter; an indoor stall or a lean to will provide some shelter and break the crisp winter wind.
- Pull the shoes; if you kick your horses out for the winter, you can pull their shoes to help keep the snow out of their feet.
- Stock up on grain and hay; just in case you get snowed in or can't make it to the feed store.
- Hand in hand, keep jugs of fresh water stored in a warmer place; just in case the pipes freeze! Or, have an automatic water heater!
- Keep a first aid kit on hand; you never know what can happen, and it's best to be prepared!
- Grab a few pairs of gloves; one for the barn, one for the truck, and everywhere else too!
- You need a pair of waterproof boots if you're going to slosh around in the snow and mud; insulated boots do just the trick!
- Stick a couple of hand warmers in your gloves or socks before you head out for barn chores; it will make the cold much more bearable!
Find more winter essentials at Riding Warehouse!