By Paige Brandon, Photos by Elizabeth Hay Photography
So you scroll through Instagram and decide you want the perfect custom piece. Maybe it’s a new saddle that you’ll want to spend your days loping in. Maybe it’s a new purse that will make you feel fabulous while shopping. Or maybe it’s is a custom piece of jewelry you’ve always wanted. Whatever it is, you could feel at a loss about what to do next. What is the process of ordering a custom item?
- The first step is to figure out what you want to be made. Determine your price range and the specifics (i.e. color, size, designs you want, etc.)
- The second step is to find an artisan you trust. Look through social media and check out their website (if they have one). If they have a physical storefront nearby, visit their shop and see examples of their work. Pro Tip: Read through any reviews you can find from previous customers.
- To ensure your custom piece will fit, you will want to measure yourself. As this is a custom item, be sure to measure correctly and accurately. Look up guides on how to measure yourself so you know you are doing it right.
- Your next step would be to reach out to the artisan. See if they can make what you have in mind. Include as many details as possible, including the measurements you found and the details of what you would like. Ask about their pricing, their return policy, shipping, and other need-to-knows. Request pictures of previous items that they have done or of similar projects. Part of finding an artisan is determining if you trust them. Ask all the questions you have regarding the piece and see if they have any ideas for it, as well.
- After you choose an artisan that you trust, it is time to submit your order. Be sure to ask for care tips for the items. You are ready to wait by your mailbox for the order!
- Lastly, it is time to rock the piece! Own it, as it is custom to you!